Date: January 17 -22, 2011
Participants profile: From Industry and faculty of AICTE approved engineering colleges.
Number of participants :22
Click Here to View Participants List
- Dr. Nalinaksh Vyas, Mechanical Engineering Department, IIT Kanpur
- Dr. Nachiketa Tiwari, Mechanical Engineering Department, IIT Kanpur
- Dr. Bishakh Bhattacharya, Mechanical Engineering and Design Department, IIT Kanpur.
A five- day intensive course on noise and vibration was organised jointly by Dr. Nalinaksh Vyas, Mechanical Engineering Department, IIT Kanpur, Dr. Nachiketa Tiwari, Mechanical Engineering Department, IIT Kanpur and Dr. Bishakh Bhattacharya, Mechanical Engineering and Design Department, IIT Kanpur.
The course focused on three key areas:
- Basics of noise and vibrations
- Finite element analysis a
- Experiments on vibrations
This was followed by the development and use of NPTEL courses.
The participants visited the NPTEL web studio and attended a computer lab or practice session for about 2 hours. All the NPTEL courses of Phase I and the courses being developed in Phase II were viewed by the participants. There was an overwhelming response of the participants in this session, where they not only tried to follow the course syllabus and pattern, but they also tried to understand the animations, figures and method of uploading the course materials.
- 70 % were from Mechanical Engineering
- 26 % - were from Research Centre and Industry
- 4 % were from Civil Engineering
Regarding participation in various activities:
- 60 % answered in the positive to participate in FAQS and as a Mentor
- 40% were positive -to set up question banks
- Only 26% were positive in taking part in discussion forum
- About 77 % participants came to know about NPTEL through the announcement of the workshop, others came to know through their other IITs and News bulletin.
- During the questionnaire session and a considerable number of participants from the various institutions showed interest and requested to inform their respective institutes to adopt NPTEL at their respective colleges.
- Almost all members were keen on having NPTEL courses at their institutes, and suggested contacting the Head of the organisation to include NPTEL at their institutes.
- Participants suggested few difficult topics in their respective branch on which short videos of 5 min can be made
Regarding format of the workshop
All of them claimed that they were happy with the organisation of the workshop, the sequence of presentations and the relevance of the presentations, and they felt that adequate time had been provided to them for expressing their views. They had received appropriate response to their respective queries. The facilities at the conference sites and the reception offered to them were highly appreciated.
Regarding arrangement of the workshop
Almost all participants agreed that they had received prompt communication regarding the workshop. 90% of them showed interest for future participation in similar workshops; regarding recommending to other faculty members in their institutes about the NPTEL workshop and their courses, only 50% were positive, 20% were unsure and the remaining participants were not too sure.
By and large, almost all of them were happy to take part in the workshop organised by NPTEL, IIT Kanpur and they felt that workshop was quite helpful in increasing their awareness and helping them learn and practice online teaching. The feedback of the workshop was therefore on the whole quite positive and encouraging.