Date:November 4th – 5th, 2011
Participants profile:Faculty from various engineering colleges across India attended the workshop.
Number of participants:63
Participant List:Click Here to View Participants List
- Prof. Mangala Sunder K, NPTEL Co-ordinator, IIT Madras.
- Prof. P. S. Robi, Dean (R&D), IIT Guwahati
- Prof. S. Nandi, Dean (Academic Affairs), IIT Guwahati
- Prof. S. Talukdar, TEL Co-ordinator, IIT Guwahati
- Prof. Anup K. Ray, IIT Kharagpur
- Prof. R. Bhattacharya of Electronics and Communication Engineering, IIT Guwahati
- Mr S. Vaidyanathan, Classle
The inaugural ceremony was presided by Prof. Mangala Sunder K, NPTEL coordinator of IIT Madras. Prof. P. S. Robi, Dean (R&D), IIT Guwahati, Prof. S. Nandi, Dean (Academic Affairs), IIT Guwahati, Prof. S. Talukdar, TEL Co-ordinator, IIT Guwahati were present in the inaugural ceremony among the other dignitaries.
Prof. S. Talukdar, TEL Coordinator IIT Guwahati in his welcome speech spoke about the task of developing courses in which IIT Guwahati is engaged at the second phase of the project and the contribution made by the IIT Guwahati in the first phase. He had also highlighted that the development of state of the art facility at the Institute to carry forward with the objectives of the project. Prof. K. Mangala Sunder elaborated the objectives of NPTEL projects in which IITs and IISc are engaged. He mentioned that in the current phase, 900 courses of electives in undergraduate curriculum and Master's level programme are being developed and soon it will be available for the users. He also highlighted that encouraging feedback received on NPTEL courses were mentioned in his lectures. The Dean (R&D) and Dean (Academic) of IIT Guwahati in their speech highlighted the Research/ Development and Academic activities of the Institute and benefits of the project to enhance technical education in our country.
On the first day, the invited talks were given by Prof. K. Mangala Sunder, IIT Madras on Technology Enhanced Learning and by Mr S. Vaidyanathan of Classle, Chennai on Social Learning Network. Prof. Anup K. Ray, IIT Kharagpur delivered his invited talk on the second day about Pedagogical aspects on web courses and Prof. R. Bhattacharya of Electronics and Communication Engineering, IIT Guwahati delivered on E-learning in respect of Present scenario of Technical Education in our country.
There were two parallel sessions on the first day which was kept reserved for interaction of participants with the reputed Subject Matter Experts (SME) engaged in developing NPTEL courses. One session was attributed to Mechanics based subjects and another session on the concept of Probability and Statistics. The two sessions selected were of interdisciplinary natures and benefitted most of the participants who were faculty members of the Technical Institutions.
The most important session in the workshop was technical session for course viewing in the Computer Centre of the Institute. Participants were given instructions to access the courses in the computers and their feedback about the content and quality of the courses were obtained.
The concluded session and valedictory function was presided by Prof. P.S Robi, Dean (R&D), IIT Guwahati.
- General response to the courses were encouraging which emphasizes the need of the Web/Video Engineering courses for the colleges which have shortage of faculty members to teach the courses.
- The participants have left a very good impression on the Workshop and requested to hold course specific workshop in near future for dissemination of the subject based knowledge in updated curriculum keeping in view of the industry's demand in HRD sector, besides easily available materials for the preparation of University Examinations.
- Most of the participants from North Eastern region admitted that courses were very much helpful to the students and teachers. But, it is yet to be popularized in the Institutions in North Eastern region and proper facility be provided by the Institute to access the courses.